Hey guys! It’s been a while since I last had a discussion like post on this blog. Today I want to discuss all time favourite books in relation to me. And I feel like some of you may be able to relate to this. So here goes.
I’ve seen a lot of people talk about their all time favourite book, or a book that will forever be special to them. I am sad to say that no book has reached to that point for me. Sure I’ve had books that I immensely enjoyed and books that will always have a special spot in my heart, like The Mortal Instruments, but I don’t think there is a book I’ve read yet that I can claim as my favourite.
There are a few reasons for this actually. And I might be overthinking this, but to me, an all time favourite book has to be something that speaks to me and pulls at my heart strings – good or bad. So here are the reasons for me not having an all time favourite book as of yet.
- I want to read a book that I can relate to, whether personally, mentally or culturally. I haven’t read many books with a Vietnamese protagonist so I feel like I cannot relate completely to a book
- I want to read a book that captures my attention from the beginning to the end. For many books I read, I don’t hooked immediately or I lose interest quickly. Sometimes this doesn’t happen but even then I can’t bring myself to say it’s my all time favourite.
- I want to read a book that provides a special message or an important lesson to take away. I’ve just felt that a book should be more than entertainment. it should also teach an underlying message.
- I want to read a book which I can reread over and over and know that I will never get bored of. Sometimes a book can get boring if read too many times so I want to find one that I will never get bored of.
- I haven’t read many books so choosing a book that is an all time favourite would be unfair as of now. I’m hoping to find an all time favourite when I read 300-500 books (according to Goodreads, I’ve only read 200) so that this gives me a variety of books to find a favourite from
- Some books are overhyped and it makes me think I really really liked it but after a while, I realise that it’s not too special (example is Throne of Glass, #sorrynotsorry)
- I am a naturally indecisive person. I feel like my favourite book depends on my mood at the time and what books I remember at the time I am asked. So choosing favourite books are the worst questions for me.
- I still have so much time in the world to find a book that is meaningful and special to me. I don’t feel like it’s necessary to have an all time favourite book as of now. I have more important things to do, like reading books and writing blog posts and school [insert crying face here]
In saying this, I still have books that I consider favourites. These are books that I usually rate 4-5 stars and I absolutely adored, despite some minor problems which I acknowledge. You can find a list of my favourite books here.
Do you have an all time favourite book or series? If so, what is it? What do you think of my reasons? Am I overthinking/overanalysing it?