Title: Heartstopper Volume 1
Author: Alice Oseman
Genre: Young Adult: Contemporary, Romance, LGTB+
Publication Date: 7th February 2019 by Hodder Children’s Books
My Rating: 5/5 stars
“I’m just scared of letting everyone down and I don’t even know whether they like me or want me on the team or… yeah.”
Charlie, a highly-strung, openly gay over-thinker, and Nick, a cheerful, soft-hearted rugby player, meet at a British all-boys grammar school. Friendship blooms quickly, but could there be something more…?
Charlie Spring is in Year 10 at Truham Grammar School for Boys. The past year hasn’t been too great, but at least he’s not being bullied anymore, and he’s sort of got a boyfriend, even if he’s kind of mean and only wants to meet up in secret.
Nick Nelson is in Year 11 and on the school rugby team. He’s heard a little about Charlie – the kid who was outed last year and bullied for a few months – but he’s never had the opportunity to talk to him. That is, until the start of January, in which Nick and Charlie are placed in the same form group and made to sit together.
They quickly become friends, and soon Charlie is falling hard for Nick, even though he doesn’t think he has a chance. But love works in surprising ways, and sometimes good things are waiting just around the corner…
Thank you to Hachette Australia for sending me this amazing book to read and review. My thoughts are 100% my own. The first thing you should know is that Heartstopper is a graphic novel series (which Alice Oseman posts on her Tumblr) and the characters it centres around appears in Solitaire. So it’s like a side story of the side characters. But this is my first book by Alice, so I don’t think you need to read Solitaire to read this (since the story is about how Nick and Charlie meet and stuff.)
THINGS I LIKED:
- Nick and Charlie are the purest cinnabuns ever!! They’re so cute and sweet together and I just want to read more of them. I just love both their personalities and the relationship they have from the beginning is awkward and pure.
- This is my first Alice Oseman book, as mentioned above, and it certainly won’t be my last. Her storytelling is captivating and keeps me hooked to the characters and their stories. I can’t wait to read her novels (Radio Silence will be next, since I’ve already borrowed it from the library)
- Alice’s art is also gorgeous and really captures the beautiful moments between the characters, and also their emotions, allowing readers to understand what the characters are feeling without saying anything.
- Charlie is someone who I can relate to the most, with his shy tendencies, and his openness when he’s comfortable around someone and even down to his insecurities – he’s my shy, quiet Slytherin buddy hehe
- There were character profiles at the end of the book to allow us to get to know the characters a bit more. There was also one for Nellie (Nick’s adorable dog)
- The cover is also the PRETTIEST THING EVER!! I CAN LITERALLY STARE AT IT ALL DAY
THINGS I DIDN’T LIKE:
- It was short *cries* I want more!! Yes, I am aware that Alice Oseman has posted this story online, but I prefer reading physical books, so I’ll wait to read the next volumes.
Overall, it was the cutest graphic novel I’ve read so far, and my first 5 star read of 2019. I really do recommend this book for everyone because it’s CUTE, FLUFFY and it’s a very quick read, perfect for getting one out of a reading slump.
Will you be adding Heartstopper to your TBR? Have you read it online already? Let me know your thoughts if you have!