Author: Helen Scheuerer
Genre: Young adult: Fantasy, Short story collection
Publication Date: 16/04/2020
My Rating: 4.5/5 stars
Discover where The Oremere Chronicles journey began in this epic bind-up of all 16 prequel short stories from bestselling author, Helen Scheuerer.
Before their fight to save the realm from mad tyrants and toxic mist, Bleak, Henri and Swinton led separate lives.
Delve into the secrets, the triumphs and tragedies of their earlier years, and the defining moments that made these much-loved characters who they are.
Teenage Bleak sails across the seas, seeking adventure with her best friend, Bren, and guardian, Senior – only to discover that trouble often finds her first.
Fiercely loyal Henri and her sister, Sahara, train relentlessly to become elite warriors, but soon learn that the Valian Way can be crueller than they ever thought.
A young and ambitious Commander Swinton struggles to prove himself worthy of knighthood, but an encounter with a beautiful stranger shows him that there are things in life more important than titles.
Dawn of Mist is the companion prequel story collection to Helen Scheuerer’s bestselling trilogy, The Oremere Chronicles.
First of all, thank you to Helen Scheuerer for kindly sending me an e-arc of this book in exchange for an honest review. I absolutely love this series and will support it to the end of days. Dawn of Mist is a prequel collection of short stories, about some of the characters that you’ll meet throughout the series. And though it is a prequel, I think this book is best read after reading the Heart of Mist trilogy as it brings to life the characters that you’ll grow to love and give them even more depth.
THINGS I LIKED:
- Honestly, one of the things I loved about this trilogy is the world-building. Helen creates such a beautiful and dark world, and she’s able to intertwine events that have happened together. And in Dawn of Mist, we get not only more world-building, but also to see the pasts of some of our beloved characters, and the events that happened to shape the people that they are.
- I love all the characters in this series. And seeing how far they’ve come from their pasts to the ending of the trilogy is so satisfying and heartwarming. They’ve all grown as individuals and it’s inspiring to read about.
- *whispers* do you remember Senior, the lovely fisherman who took care of Bleak? Yes he reappears in this book. Her story really captives how hard life can be, but it’s also inspiring to see her grow strong and despite the hardships, come out on top.
- FI ALSO MAKES AN APPEARANCE!! I would have loved to have had an opportunity to read about Fi’s past, but seeing Swinton’s and Fi’s friendship and camaraderie is just as amazing and satisfying.
- Overall, the writing is so easy to get lost into. Helen is able to write in a way that enchants the audience, and she builds such amazing characters that are very relatable too.
THINGS I DIDN’T LIKE:
- That this series has come to an end *cries* there may not be any more book relating to this world anymore and it makes me sad. But I’m still so happy for Helen and her accomplishments!!
- Yes, I don’t really have anything negative to add here, just go read the series and then this book. You will not regret it.
Overall, if you love books about strong female characters, amazing and in-depth character arcs, magic and suspense, then this book is for you!
Dawn of Mist will release on the 16th of April 2020, and you can preorder the e-book now on Amazon:
And if you’re interested in reading my review of the other books in this series: